Friday, June 13, 2014

How to Pass the PMP Exam in 10 Days

The summer is officially here. I'm afraid I won't have what Seinfeld's fans called the summer of George - doing nothing and taking it easy for three months. The heavy travel earlier this year from Calgary, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong, Paris and Colorado Springs in a 5-week period for some reasons let me to conceive several new ideas, mostly related to my career and some revenue-generating business activities. It must have been the frozen cold Calgary, or most probably the Zen time during long flights when I was not bombarded with emails and phone calls.

One of my new projects involve some new ideas to improve my students' job marketability upon graduation. Besides getting their advanced degrees, I will now encourage my students to sit for professional engineering exam and get a certification as Project Management Professional (PMP). I was a guinea pig to test the PMP idea. I started the summer with a 10-day intense journey to prepare and pass the exam. I think it's worth it. I don't need another 3-letter after my name, but my students, or anyone working on project-oriented work should get the PMP credential. In my opinion, it symbolizes the capability to bring calm to chaos (especially to big projects). It signifies a methodical and systematic person capable to work on any project in any field anywhere in the world.

A follow-up project I've been working on over the long weekend is to offer a short-course at Udemy.com to share my 10-day experience to pass the PMP exam. My employer sponsored me to a $1,000 4-day bootcamp to learn about the PMP exam materials. I then found out about a better-quality, on-demand video lectures that costs much less. Nobody should repeat my mistake by wasting $1,000-$2,000 to attend those bootcamps. My Udemy course will offer some guidance to prepare and pass the exam in 10 days at a total cost of less than $300. With a membership to the Project Management Institute, and a fee to take the exam, you could get a PMP credential for less than $800. Since the median annual salary for PMP holders in most countries are well within the 6-figure level in USD, the benefit to cost ratio is tremendous. The course is now available here. As a preview, the 10-day especially the first 4 and a half would be hell. My study plan would require you to read a pretty dry 400+ page guidebook not only once, but twice. You would also solve at least 1,000 multiple-choice questions to prepare for the real exam with 200 questions in 4 hours.   I implement the following SATU ("Sedia-Awal-Tumpuan-Ulangkaji) study technique which I've translated to English and renamed to PrepARe:




2 comments:

  1. I want to say thanks to you. I have bookmark your site for future updates.
    pmp certification in malaysia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips and very easy to understand. This will definitely be very useful for me when I get a chance to start my blog.data science certification

    ReplyDelete